Sr. Staff Engineer, IC Design (Power Management)
Location: Nashua, United States
Employment type: Permanent
Job descriptionOVERVIEWBuilds on a 30-year legacy of technology advancements and a strong IP portfolio but with a new mission— to enhance world-class capabilities with high-performance semiconductors. With a strong foundation in RF integration, their product portfolio now spans power management, connected sensors, optical transceivers, antenna tuning, and RF frontends.
These intelligent and efficient semiconductors enable advanced modules for smartphones, base stations, personal computers, electric vehicles, data centers, IoT devices, and healthcare. From headquarters in San Diego and offices around the world, the team explores new ways to make electronics for the connected world smaller, thinner, faster, and better.
This individual will be a lead for the Power Management research team, participate in design activities, and be instrumental in creating new intellectual property. As part of a cross-functional product development team, the Senior Staff Engineer will support other essential disciplines including marketing and applications, project management, characterization, production, and test engineering. System-level knowledge used to help analyze new concept architectures is a huge plus, at a minimum desire to learn system-level architecture is a must.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES INCLUDE
- Product Definition: Assist Marketing in defining new products through feasibility studies and technical competitive analyses
- Product Lead: Top-level architecture, sub-block definitions and leading a small team of engineers to implement design
- Product Design and Evaluation: Schematic Capture, IC layout, Simulation, Package Analysis, Evaluation Board Design, Design Validation, and mentoring engineers
- Product Documentation: Document all relevant product and design information to educate others on novel design techniques and provide guidance on product usage
- Product Characterization: Work with Characterization and Test Engineers to define, conduct and analyze data from product performance characterization
- Production ATE Development: Work with Test Engineers to define, develop and ramp production ATE solutions
- Product Support: Work with Applications, Product, Test and Manufacturing Engineers to help answer customer questions, assess field failures, support yield improvements, etc.
- Technology Development: work with Technologists to define the technology roadmap, addressing the performance and functional requirements of the product roadmap
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Master’s or PhD preferred
- 12 years of experience in analog integrated circuit design and power management circuit design
- 8 years of experience in the semiconductor industry
- Demonstrated working Silicon in more than one foundry process
- Solid understanding of analog circuit theory and power management circuits
- Capable of refining the product definition
- Excellent analog integrated circuit and power management implementation skills
- Experience debugging, probing, and characterizing silicon using standard lab equipment
- Participated in at least 5 power management chip products on the market today
- Collaborated on at least 10 analog IC chip designs
- System-level understanding
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Experience in inventions and patent (co-)authorship
- Solid knowledge of industry-standard design conventions and rules in analog circuit design; knowledge of reducing design risk
- Possess excellent project management skills
- Creative and innovative on the architectural level
- Track record of thorough implementation and first working Silicon
- Proficiency in design tools such as Cadence