Firmware Design Engineer (Devon, United Kingdom)
Location: Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
Employment type: Permanent
Head Of Desk Cherribel Tamayao
Phone +44 (0) 203 9 606393
Email [email protected]
Job descriptionFirmware Design Engineer – Devon, United Kingdom
The client is a leading global power supply company providing highly reliable power supplies for industrial and medical equipment worldwide. The company meets the various needs of customers with its entire range of activities, from research and development to manufacturing, sales, and service with bases in five key areas, covering Japan, Europe, America, China, and Asia.
In the UK alone, they are the largest manufacturer and designer of standard and configurable AC-DC and DC-DC power supplies employing approximately 300 people with Certifications including ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and ISO 13485 (Medical devices - Quality management systems). They are a trusted supplier to many leading OEMs in the industrial, medical, and test/measurement market segments.
People are at the heart of their business and are encouraged to develop their skills so that they can make a real contribution to ongoing success. They’ll offer you:
- Great career opportunities
- Ongoing training and development
- A competitive salary and benefits package
As part of their diverse workforce, you will be eligible for a competitive and comprehensive benefits program that includes an awesome benefits package of professional development, health, & contributory pension.
Overview of the Role
This is an opportunity for an Engineer to join a progressive and successful development organization.
Ideally looking for someone with knowledge of switch mode power supply design and the capability to design control software and implement it, to provide new solutions to the control of power supplies.
The successful applicant will be working in a dynamic and friendly team environment where the technologies are state of the art and can deliver solutions to meet customer expectations of performance and timescale.
This vacancy is in the main Research & Development site in Devon.
Key Responsibilities and Activities Include
- Responsible for providing cost-effective digital monitoring, control, and solutions for their power supplies.
- Creating embedded software that will provide a variety of supervisory and control functions, including high-speed control loops utilizing digital filters.
- There will also be an element of GUI development involved, to interface to the power supplies and demonstrate functionality.
- Responsible for requirements capture; application analysis and design, code generation following company coding guidelines, test and release to manufacturing and the field.
- Responsible for maintaining embedded software, capable of controlling, updating procedures, and tool selection when required.
- Bachelor's Degree in subjects related to power electronics. MSc & Ph.D. is an advantage.
- Engineer with 5+ years of experience in mixed-signal and power electronics. SMPS would be advantageous.
- Simulation and digital control using PSpice, SIMetrix, Matlab, Simulink, Simscape, etc would be helpful.
- Familiar with the full cycle of the software development process: design, implementation, test, and maintenance.
- LLC and resonant stages are desirable
- Understanding of Low-level coding of peripherals, ISRs, etc.
- Fixed and floating point numerical implementations.
- Version control systems, e.g., Git,
- Mercurial. Coding standards e.g., MISRA C.
- Knowledge of low-level communications interfaces and protocols such as SPI, PMBus/I2C, and LAN.
- Experience with ARM Cortex and AVR 8-bit microcontrollers is desirable.
- Able to understand SMPS hardware system requirements, devise control schemes, and select and apply digital hardware to meet requirements.
- Real-time embedded C and Assembly coding and debugging experience.
- Able to move easily between the analogue and digital domain to implement digital filtering and control loops.
- Able to define production programming strategies and implementation into a production environment.
- C# coding for GUI implementation is desirable.
- Eligible to work in the UK.
- Able to organize own work.
- Able to work within a team but show leadership when required
- A degree of flexibility will be required as work will be carried out on a variety of products and systems, including standard, modified standard, and full-custom products as well as in-house development of test systems and equipment.
- Experience in supervising technicians and others assigned to a project.
For interested applicants, kindly send your cv to [email protected] cc: [email protected]